Monday, April 12, 2010

Two Dollars Made My Whole Year!!!

A few weeks ago, Riley lost his Boys & Girls Club card.  He couldn't go back to the club until he found it, which was really hard on him because he really enjoys the club.  He'd looked all over and still couldn't find it.  I didn't think it was right to give him money to replace something he was irresponsible with but I also didn't think it was right for him to not be able to attend the club again.  So this weekend I gave him the opportunity to earn the $2.00 for a replacement card by picking up all the sticks in the front yard.  He tackled it right away and the yard looked great.
.
Knowing that the money might be a temptation before he got to the club after school, I put the $2.00 in a sealed envelope this morning and reminded him it was for his club card.  When Steve picked him up tonight, Riley came to me right away and told me that he had found his old card at the club.  He hadn't wanted to tell me he found it so he could spend the money on a drink at the club and I would just think he'd purchased a club card.  But he knew he shouldn't tell a lie.  So he brought the money back to me, still in the sealed envelope!   He has come so far :) 
.
I pulled him onto my lap, gave him a big hug and told him how proud I was of him that he had chosen to do the right thing.  Then I handed the envelope back to him and told him since he had earned it by doing his job and he didn't need to buy a new club card anymore, the money was now all his.
.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Way to go Riley! We are proud of you!

    ReplyDelete