Monday, December 28, 2009

Reflect and Examine

Sometimes I know the right thing to do but I don't want to do it. There are relationships that aren't as easy or as fun as I would like, in fact, they can be downright difficult at times. I'd rather spend time doing what I know and like with people I know and like. It's much easier and more convenient for me. But aside from the fact that God didn't give me a spot on this earth for my own entertainment and enjoyment, sometimes those challenging relationships, the ones that are the hardest, are the very ones that shape me the most. . Pastor Kent asked the question yesterday "Does your dash have significance?" . After I die, my gravestone will look something like this:
Tricia Wilkins
April 26, 1974 - March 10, 2058
It's the dash that's in between the dates that shows how significant our lives were. . Will mine just remind people that I had 5 children, or that my children grew to be Christ-loving adults with honesty and integrety and servants hearts? Will my dash just remind people that I was married, or that I had a loving relationship with the spouse that God entrusted to me? Will my dash just remind people that I worked hard, or that I was able to help God accomplish something for his kingdom? Will my dash just remind people that I took time for myself, or that I took time for Him? . In the brief time we have before eternity, every moment counts! We don't know our final date and at that time, we won't have the opportunity to say I wish I would have been more. . Doing more for God won't be the difference of entry into heaven or not, because that's a personal relationship with Christ. It could, however, be the difference in whether or not someone else knows Christ through our lives and gets to spend eternity in heaven. Do I spend as much time on things that will last as I do on things that will fade?

No comments:

Post a Comment