Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Brother

I'm so excited about hanging out with my brother this weekend. Because I'm adopted, I've only known my brother since I was 20 but he's one of my best friends. He knows a lot about me and it's so relaxing to know that I don't have to be anyone other than who I am with him. It's awesome to have a big brother watching out for me. There's not a doubt in my mind that anytime I need him, he's there for me. Our relationship is special since we didn't grow up together but he always makes me feel like I'm part of his family. I couldn't ask for a better brother. * How I met my brother: When I was 20, I was working at KMart and attending classes at the college. Steve (my boyfriend then, husband now) spent quite a bit of time at my apartment even when I wasn't there. There was a guy that kept calling when I wasn't home and when Steve would ask to take a message, the caller would always say, "No message." After a few of these calls, Steve was starting to get a little upset. We talked about it and decided it must be one of my old boyfriends who I had seen at KMart a few weeks before. Then one day I was home when the phone rang. Steve answered it and then handed it to me, whispering, "It's that guy!" I took the receiver and said hello. The voice on the other end asked if I was Tricia and I said I was. Then he said the words that took my breath away. He said, "I'm your brother." Steve said I turned instantly white. I never even knew that I had a brother and now he was calling me! I can't even begin to explain how wonderful it felt to be sought out by him. He wanted me. He wanted to know me. He wanted me to be a part of his life. We spent some time on the phone getting to know each other and then at some point (I honestly can't remember if it was that phone call or a later one) we arranged a face to face meeting. But that's another post for another time. I really should be packing now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment