Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Argument with God

It's been three weeks of workouts at 5:30am on weekdays.  That means that on the weekends my body is generally awake by 5:30 just because I'm used to it.  Church doesn't start until 9am, so I guess that means you'll have to bear with me as I blog for a bit.
.
Brittney was having a good day on Friday.  By good day, I mean she was fun-loving and getting along with her siblings and parents.  She needed to get a gift for a birthday party she was attending on Saturday, so I took her to Walmart.  On the way into the parking lot, we passed a man standing behind his car with a sign that read, "Stranded.  Trying to get home to Willeston, ND.  Will Work."

I wanted to do something to help him but I have very little money.   There was a mental discussion/argument running through my head that went something like this:

God:  "You really should help him.
Me:  But I'm not sure I have enough money to put gas in my own tank.
God:  I've asked you to help others in need.
Me: But I'm sure someone else will help him.  Someone with more to give.
God:  I'm not asking someone else.  I'm asking you.
Me:  But what about the bills I have at home?
God:  Freely you have received, freely give.
Me:  But I hardly have anything.
God:  Whatever you do for the least of these, you do for me.
Me:  But my mom says strangers can be dangerous.
God:  Don't you trust Me to take care of you?
Me:  But my mom says he probably won't use the money for gas anyway.
God:  What he does doesn't concern you.  What you do concerns Me.
Me:  He probably won't even be there when we come out of Walmart.
God:  There he is.  Waiting.

So Brittney and I drove up to the stranger from North Dakota.  As we were pulling up, another young man walked up and handed the man some cash.  That would have been my perfect excuse to drive away.  But I didn't.  I rolled down my window and asked if he needed gas.  He responded with a shy smile and a nod.  I told him to follow me to the gas station down the street and I would fill up his tank. 

I used my debit card to fill his car with gas.  As he pumped the gas, we visited.  He was a christian and on his way back from Florida.  His fuel pump had gone out and the parts and labor to fix the car had taken up the rest of his money.  We had a great visit.  Before we parted, I gave him some bottled water I had in the back of my van.  He thanked me, said "God bless!" and went on his way.  And, as it turns out, another good samaritan had come along with a can of gas and put it in his tank right before I came out of Walmart.  So the fill up was only $21 on my card. 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment