Monday, March 15, 2010

Rollercoaster Day

I still don't feel very good and it still feels like I have to do everything in slow motion since I can't breath as well as I used to.  Today was a rollercoaster day and not really in a good way.  I kind of wish I could call someone up who would know what I'm feeling but I don't think anyone but me understands today's rollercoaster. 
*It started with a crabby preteen who isn't used to the time change yet. Fortunately, she was out of the house by 7:20am.
*My wonderful mother-in-law dropped Anthony off at preschool and then my amazing dad brought him home again.
*I had to make sure the house was ready for a DSS inspection.  We have to renew our foster license every year and included in that is a home visit, paperwork and an inspection.  The visit lasted two hours and when you're not feeling the best, that seems like a long time.  The only part of the house inspection that we have to correct is our water temperature.  It has to be between 110 -130 and ours tested at 134.  I turned down the water heater but she'll have to come back to test it again on another day.  It felt good to be praised for giving the boys a good, nurturing home.  And to have someone that has known them from the time they came into our home until now to tell me again how far they've all come, especially considering all the challenges they've faced in their short lives. 
*After school, Zeke couldn't find his Boys & Girls Club card so he started having a meltdown in the van and hitting anyone he could reach while seatbelted.  I took him to the Club anyway since we needed to be at Riley's school conference at 5pm.
*I thought I could handle Riley's conference but Iprobably should've just had Steve go today.  I take it so personally when all I hear is how he isn't going to be able to succeed in 3rd grade, ie. life, because he can't stop talking to his friends and stay in his own space.  I just wanted to cry through the whole conference. 
It's not his fault that we didn't get to help him work on this stuff until he was already 5 years old.  He's only had 3.5 years of learning "the system" compared to most kids 8 or 9 years.  He totally craves attention and acceptance and is looking for it anywhere he can get it.  And sometimes that's from his friends.  He is very susceptible to peer pressure.  I guess that's what happens when you're in not in the best home situation and end up in foster care.
Instead of picking on what he's not doing well, how about praising him for how far he's come.

What about the fact that he was suspended for half a day in kindergarten?  He doesn't have those behaviors anymore. 
And what about the fact that in kindergarten he was told by a teacher to stop running in the hall and he ran away and hid because he was afraid?  He doesn't do that any more. 
And what about the fact that he used to ask little girls to pull their pant down and lay on top of them and kiss them?  He doesn't do that anymore.  
I could go on and on.  We've worked so hard with him for the past few years and all the school sees is a boy who talks to much and can't stay in his seat or follow directions. 
He's worked so hard to get to the place he's at now in life and I know he won't fail LIFE just because the school is failing him.  It just means I have to work that much harder as a parent to continue to teach him.   I just wish I didn't feel so bad about it.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment