Monday, March 29, 2010

Anthony

We've had a busy few days with Anthony.  On Wednesday morning, I took him to kindergarten screening.  Considering it's the 5th time I've gone through it, I wasn't overly concerned.  He went right in, took their tests and passed with flying colors. 
.
On Thursday, I took him in to the clinic for his school physical.  He did everything they asked him to and had no problems with the hearing or vision tests.  He weighs 44 lbs and is 3' 11" so he's in the 99% for height for kids his age.  He also had to have his final 3 shots.  We talked quite a bit about it ahead of time so he was prepared.  The nurse asked him if he wanted the shots in his arms or his legs and he chose his legs.  He didn't like it, but he didn't scream or try to get away.  He sat on my lap the entire time and I didn't even have to hold down his hands or arms.  I was so proud of him!  I'm 5 for 5 on kids taking their shots well.  And he was our last one :)
.
This afternoon Steve and I went to Anthony's school conference at Orchard Drive Preschool.  He knows his numbers, letters, how to write his name and most of the rest of the things he'll need for kindergarten.  His preschool teacher said a lot of really nice things about Anthony and feels he'll do fine in kindergarten.  So do I. 
I know my children pretty well so sometimes I feel like I could almost give a conference to the teachers.  Here's what I would have said about Anthony: 
He's a very smart little boy.  He knows the facts but sometimes he choses whether or not to cooperate in telling them to you.  He can be very affectionate and loving and gives lots of hugs to those he likes.  He can also be very defiant when he wants to, sometimes just to test you to see if you'll follow through.  When he is consistantly defiant, a phone call to his foster mom Betty immediately puts him in a good mood and he's a very cooperative little boy again.  He has a hard time stopping an activity if he feels like he's not done with it, especially when he's working on papers.  He has a very low impulse control and it also seems like he can't help but touch everything he sees.  I think touching helps him learn about the world.  And he is so darn cute when he smiles and his dimples are showing!

No comments:

Post a Comment