Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sedation

When the two surgeons were ready for Zeke, I suited up. I probably should have let Steve take a picture. I do have one of Zeke in his blue hospital cap but fortunately none of me. I had to put on one of those paper/plastic white full body suits and a cap and mask. Then they wheeled Zeke's bed down to surgery. Steve waited in the pre-op room with the baby.

Once we were in the operating room, they transfered Zeke to the surgical table and got his mask ready. The reason they give the kids a flavored chapstick is that they put the chapstick on the inside of their mask so the kids have something good to smell instead of the weird smelling gas. The bonus is that the kids get to keep the chapstick. Once they placed the mask over his face, Zeke was out in a matter of seconds. He had enough time to ask me if he could keep his mask and laugh a bit because he thought everything was funny. Then he was down for the count. They let me remove my mask to give him a kiss and they reasurred me that they would take very good care of him. I always do fine until that point but for some reason, I feel like tearing up when I leave him in the operating room. I was back in the pre-op room at 8:02am.

No comments:

Post a Comment