Monday, June 7, 2010

Please Don't Interrupt

I try really hard to teach the kids not to interrupt adult conversations.  If they persist, I usually ask if there's any blood or fire involved.  Ninty-eight percent of the time, there isn't.  So I make them wait their turn to speak.

So this evening after supper, Steve and I were trying to talk.  It wasn't anything really important, but it was still a conversation between us.  Riley came into the dining room and started to talk to me.  I asked him to wait his turn.  I started to visit with Steve again but as soon as I did, Riley tried to butt in.  I glared at him and told him to wait.  Just as I opened my mouth to ask Steve another question, Riley started to talk.  Frustrated, I asked him if it involved any blood or fire.
"No." came his quick answer.
"Then I'm going to answer 'no' to whatever you're asking just because you aren't being patient and waiting." I told him.
There was a long, long pause and I thought I had resolved the situation.
Riley kept eyeing me and thinking, until finally he quickly piped up, "But it's about the toilet."
I don't think I've jumped up off the couch so fast in quite a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment