Monday, June 28, 2010

Brothers and Fire

One of the coolest parts of having my brother here is that I have someone to tell me about my biological family.  He never minds my questions and always tells me interesting stories to help me get to know relatives I know very little about.  I could listen for hours.  It's even better now because we've hung out together for over 16 years, so we have our own fun history together, too.
.
One of my favorites was the time a few year ago when we were camping at a KOA campground in Rapid City.  It was getting pretty late in the evening, so one by one, everyone else in our families went to bed.  Eventually, it was only my two brothers and I sitting around the campfire.  There were a few tears, lots of silent moments and a great deal of laughter.  There was another family party going on across the way who had a family member who worked for C*oke.  He brought tons of cases of outdated C*oke products and happily shared with us.  We were having a great time together but it turned out that the guy in the cabin next to us wasn't.  He kept coming out to tell us to keep it down.  I'm not sure how we ended up right next to the only family in the campground who wanted their kids in bed early, but that's how it was. 

So as it got later, and my brothers ingested more and more alcohol and pop, someone got the bright idea to just move over a couple of campsites to my brother's cabin.  Which was a great idea, unless you're familiar with bonfires.  It takes quite a few hours to burn down the logs to get just that right balance of warmth from the glowing embers, while still putting bigger logs on top to create the fire. 

So at about 1am in the morning, I convinced my brothers to use the fires tools to pick up the log that was in our fire.  The log was about 2 feet in diameter and 3 feet long - and on fire.  They made a mad dash with it and threw it into our new firepit about 50 feet away.  It was a "blazing" success!  Stupid of us, but I must admit, it made me feel pretty powerful to be able to convince my brothers to do my bidding :)

No comments:

Post a Comment