Thursday, June 10, 2010

Afternoon at the Pickards

I love Wednesdays in the summer.  It's the one day that there is nothing on our schedule.  No gymnastics.  No summer school.  No church activities.  I thought about taking the kids to the pool but the temperature is still in the 70's.  Jen invited us to her house so we took her up on the offer.  Brittney and Anthony stayed home and Riley, Taylor, Zeke and I journeyed out to the country.  We all had popcicles and then I got on the tractor to mow while Jen played with the kids.  She kept thanking me for mowing for her but I just said, "You relax your way and I'll relax mine!"  Two hours of uninterupped silence, except for the roar of the tractor, creating order out of long grass.  When I finished, Jen had made chocolate chip cookies and juice. 

The kids were begging for a ride on the 4 wheeler, so I kept Kassy busy while Jen gave rides.  Meanwhile, Al and Jim came home.  Jen was puttering around the yard with Zeke sitting in front of her and David in front of him.  As Al and I were sitting on the deck chatting, he suddenly jumped up and lept down the stairs of the deck.  I turned to look and saw the 4 wheeler up on it's back two wheels, Zeke flying off backwards, Jen going almost straight up in the air and David flying through the air.  By the time Al reached them,  Zeke was sitting on his butt where he landed and Jen had rushed to grab David, who had landed face down on the ground.  Both kids were scared and crying, but thankfully, it seems like no one was seriously hurt.  Although I'm guessing Jen's feeling the pain today!

Apparently, Zeke was trying to "drive" and suddenly put the throttle all the way down. 
Note to self:  Don't trust Zeke's driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment