Saturday, August 13, 2011

Beth Moore ~ Change

I love reading Beth Moore. The following is from her short book The Promise of Security.


We take our first breath of terrestrial air in total shock. Christ alone is unchanged and will remain unchanged for all of eternity.
We, on the other hand, are in constant, hair-raising, stomach-turning flux. As the old saying goes, nothing stays the same but change.
The truth is, God uses change to change us. He doesn't use it to destroy us or to distract us but to coax us to the next level of character, experience, compassion, and destiny.
.
Thousands of years ago, an old prophet spoke these words that are frighteningly consistant with many headlines we're seeing on news magazines during this nation's current economic crisis.

What sorrow awaits you who build big houses with money gained dishonestly!
You believe your wealth will buy security,
putting your family's nest beyond the reach of danger.       
Habakkuk 2:9

No amount of wealth can buy security. Every rich man and women in the world is squirming in that reality right now. You and I have learned along the way that our need is far deeper than our circumstances and more cavernous than our pockets can plunge. Our world system has made promises it can't keep, and though it's confessions are made only in whispers, if we listen closely, it's finally admitting the lie.

When I was prosperous, I said, "Nothing can stop me now!
Your favor, O LORD, made me secure as a mountain.
Then you turned away from me and I was shattered.     
Psalm 30:6-6

Just when I'm feeling all secure, like I'm God's best friend, an earthquake splits that lofty mountain right down the middle. And boy, am I dismayed. I have a feeling we can never get so secure in ourselves that we cannot be moved. Can a rock move forward?

Maybe I just get bored easily. I'm forever wanting to go someplace with God. I forget that in order to really want to go, something has to happen to make me leave where I am.

I am certain that God, who began the good work within you,
will continue his work until it is finally finished
on the day when Christ Jesus returns.   
 Philippians 1:6

I hate to display such a firm grasp of the obvious, but how will we ever change if everything around us stays the same? Or what will ever cause us to move on to the next place He has for us if something doesn't happen to change the way we feel about where we are? God is thoroughly committed to finishing the masterpiece He started in us. And that process means one major thing: change.      ~Beth Moore
.

No comments:

Post a Comment