Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day

I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of Valentine's Day. So now you get in on my little rant.

Steve and I dated for almost 3 years and have been married for 13 years. We love each other but we also argue and disagree sometimes. It doesn't mean we love each other any less. It means we love each other enough to express what we really feel. We don't have the fear of divorce looming over us because neither of us would consider it. I love the security in that and I don't doubt his love for me, even when he's not "doing what I want" because I know he still has our family's best interests at heart.

That being said, I think Valentine's Day is a crock because I don't want one day a year when a significant other feels socially and financially obligated to spend time and money just because of what day it is. I want a spouse who shows me throughout the year that he loves and cares for me. And Steve does that. So why would I need him to purchase something for me today just because everyone else is. I'd rather he pay attention to what I want or need and suprise me with it on any regular day. And Steve does that.

But for those of you who actually enjoy Valentine's Day, that's fine for you. Just make sure your significant other appreciates you on other days too and you're not just financially boosting Halmark :)
.
Happy Valentine's Day!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment