Tuesday, August 3, 2010

VBS

I hope to post some great pictures of Vacation Bible School. The kids are having so much fun! It's available for kids age 3 through grade 6.  The elementary kids are 1st grade through 4th grade and they have their own classes in the sanctuary and upstairs. The 5th & 6th graders are joining in the elementary opening/closing assemblies but go off site to participate in mini-missions trips around our community during VBS time.


Two years ago, when we had two preschool classes, I had a vision of having a totally self-contained preschool area for VBS. This year, I wanted to make sure we had our own opening assembly specifically geared towards preschool kids and have 5 individual classrooms, plus crafts and recreation.  I thought that if we didn't have many kids, it would still be ok because they would all just get that much more individual attention. And if we did have lots of kids, then I'd have the staff prepared.  Then I prayed for God to bring the kids.
.
 This year, I was determined to not put any of my staff in a position they weren't comfortable in or excited about. I wanted the staff to have as much enthusiasm as possible so the kids have a great experience. I took some people up on offers to teach and pursued some others who I knew would be great. We have quite a bit of experience in our preschool classrooms this year. I wanted at least two adults with educational experience and a helper or two in each class.  Two weeks before the start of VBS, I had another well-qualified person offer to teach/help.  I decided to open another classroom and pray for the kids to come.  We were up to 6 preschool classrooms.  I'm glad I did, because the first night, we had 60 preschoolers and last night we were up to 72.  Yes, that's just the preschoolers!  Yay God!!!
.
In the opening assembly with Cynthia, the preschoolers have fun singing, learning, watching a puppet show and lots of other fun stuff.  The kids also participate in crafts, recreation, bible stories, snacks and scripture memory.  I'm a firm believer in the fact that a good administration doesn't have to be an expert in all areas but I do need to have well qualified people in those areas who really know what they're doing.  And it seems to be working!  We've got tons of kids learning about God and his love!  How exciting is that?!  Yay God!!!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment