Monday, August 9, 2010

VBS, Sandy, Sophia, Carpet, & Kids

It's 6:20am and still quiet in our house.  Our early morning workout was cancelled this morning so I felt like I had a few extra minutes to get on the computer and sip my coffee.  The last few weeks have been really busy and I felt like I needed every ounce of my energy for my kids.  Have I mentioned lately that there are only 9 days until school starts and lots to do between now and then? 

Here are a few updates:
.
VBS is now over and it was awesome!  The kids had a great time and we saw lots of new faces that don't regularly attend our church.  We have a carnival on the last day and there were even quite a few families from our church neighborhood that came over to have fun.  We kept everything free just let the kids - and adults - play after the opening assembly.  I'm not sure about the number of kids in the elementary groups but Planet 5/6 averaged 20 kids during the week and in preschool, we averaged 68.  I'm definitely ready for a break from VBS for this year but in a few months I'll be ready to jump into next years program!
.
Sandy, my mother-in-law, lost her job month ago at the hospital in Redfield.  She'd been there 13 years.  Even though it was devastating for her, it's enabling her to consider other options closer to us.  Steve's been making trips to help her get her house ready to put on the market, along with lots of help from some of the church people there.  I think the scraping and priming are done, they just need to finish painting and the trim on the outside.  The inside is pretty much ready except for sorting and cleaning.  Sandy's been spending some time with us and has recently put in applications for jobs here.  And one of the biggest blessings is that we've found a house we think she'd love!  The price is right and we know and trust the owners.  Steve's sister, Staci, is coming this Tuesday evening, so Sandy is hoping to take all three of her kids to look at the house on Wednesday.  We're trusting God to put all the pieces into place but are willing to do whatever we need to do to get her here.  We've been hoping to get her to move closer to us since Steve's dad died but the timing hasn't been right until now. 
.
Sophia will be with us until at least the 18th of August, maybe longer.  That's the next court hearing.  She's gobbling rice cereal in the mornings and loves fruit.  I try to put her in the Jumper quite a bit so she can work on putting weight on her feet/legs.  We're also working on sitting up by herself and she's almost got it.  It's so fun to watch her develop and learn!  I take her to Sioux Falls on Tuesday for a head scan, which the doctors will use to make her a helmet to help re-shape the back of her head.    I also take her in to the clinic every Monday to get her weight checked.
.
My dining room carpet will be getting cleaned today!  The Kirby vaccuum company called and wanted to do a free carpet cleaning of any room in my house.  They do it to try to sell me a vaccuum cleaner/carpet cleaner.  Statics show that if they actually get into a house, chances are very good that the homeowner will impulsively buy their product.  Little do they know, there's no way I'm buying anything and I'm the furthest thing from impulsive.  I'm the one who used to invite the Jehovah's Witnesses in just to debate with them for an hour or so and send them on their way.  I've had the carpet vaccuum guys in before but it's been a while and they've never offered to carpet clean a whole room before.  I'm taking them up on it!  I also get a free spot cleaner and all it will cost me is my time.
.
Kids are waking up so I'd better get off the computer!

No comments:

Post a Comment